At Expanse Learning we want to ensure that in the event of heavy snowfall or extreme weather conditions, adequate measures are in place to enable our School and College to remain open. It is always the priority to remain open in order to maintain high standards of learning. To this end, our site staff work tirelessly to ensure that the site is safe for pupils/students, staff and visitors.
This plan aims to:-
- Keep pupils/students and staff aware of our priorities in extreme weather conditions
- Keep parents/carers updated on our methods of communication
- Prevent pupils/students and staff from being stranded at school or college
- Reduce unnecessary risks
- Reduce accidents in the school or college
In the event of heavy snowfall, where an Expanse Learning site is unable to guarantee a full capacity of staff, a decision will be taken by the Board of Directors as to whether to close a specific site. The Board may decide to close a specific site while others remain open. Where no updates have been provided parents and pupils/students should assume that the school or college is open as normal. However, if a decision is made to close, this will be communicated out to parents/carers and staff as soon as possible. In the event of school or college closure, a member of staff will, where possible, be available on site to ensure that messages and communication are maintained for the first few hours of closure; thereafter the site will be closed and unmanned. Decisions taken by the Board of Directors for ‘School and College Closure’, will be communicated by one or more of the following means:
- Text message to parents
- Published on the Expanse Learning website and Wigan Council website (www.wigan.gov.uk)
- Message on Wish FM radio station
- A recorded message on the answer phone if possible
- Published on Expanse Learning social media pages : Facebook/Twitter
School and College Closure during the Day
In the event of heavy snowfall during the school /college day, a decision will be taken by the Board of Directors as to whether the site should remain open or not, taking into account the safety of all pupils/learners and staff. If a decision is made for an early closure, the communication methods will remain the same as in full school/college closure. Given the event of bad weather, the school advises all pupils, students, staff and visitors to wrap up warmly and wear sensible footwear.