Students at Expanse School are allowed to wear their own clothes other than a school uniform. Expanse Learning operates a none requirement to wear a school uniform.
Whilst this allows students the opportunity to express themselves as individuals, it must be done so in an appropriate way. It is particularly important that any pupil dress recognises that the school is still a working environment, and further that pupil dress does not cause discomfort to peers, staff and other members of the school community.
In doing so, the following guidelines are to be adhered to:
- Shorts, skirts and dresses, if worn, should be of at least mid-thigh length.
The following items are prohibited:
- See-through clothing, for example, see-through blouses.
- Strapless or ‘string-strapped’ tops.
- Clothing which is revealing; for example, T-shirts exposing bare midriffs or cut-off shorts/hot pants.
- Clothing which reveals underwear.
- Flip-flops or backless footwear, due to health and safety issues.
- High-heeled shoes.
- Clothing with offensive slogans or wording.
It is recognised that this dress code will not cover all issues that may arise. Students may seek to wear, for example, items which have not been covered by the above guidelines, but which are against the dress code. In such a case, or given any issue of dispute, the final decision is left to a senior member of staff.
All Students are expected to arrive at school wearing clothing in accordance with this dress code. Should they not do so, the following steps will be followed in order of priority:
- Students will be sent home to change into appropriate clothing
- A letter will be sent to the students parents